Showing posts with label social media. Show all posts
Showing posts with label social media. Show all posts

Thursday, February 05, 2026

Sanchez Goes Nuclear on Cam: 'Migrant' Musk Attacked as Spanish Declares Social Media 'Failed State'

Feb 3, 2026 | Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has ignited a global debate after launching a fierce attack on social media giants at the World Governments Summit in Dubai. Calling social platforms a “failed state,” he accused them of spreading disinformation, hate speech, and harmful content targeting children. Sanchez also took direct aim at Elon Musk amid a row over migrant regularisation and online influence. Now, Spain is moving toward tough new rules, including age bans and criminal liability for executives. But how far will this digital crackdown go, and who could be affected next?

Spain Becomes Latest Country to Announce Plans to Ban Social Media for Minors Under 16 | DW News

Feb 4, 2026 | Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has announced a plan to ban social media for youths under the age of 16. He says it's necessary to protect children from a so-called a 'digital wild west.'


Related article here.

Wednesday, February 04, 2026

Elon Musk Calls Spanish PM a ‘Tyrant’ over Plan to Ban Under-16s from Social Media and Curb Hateful Content

THE GUARDIAN: Pedro Sánchez says urgent action needed to protect children from ‘digital wild west’, drawing anger from owner of X

Spain has proposed a ban on social media use by teenagers as attitudes hardened in Europe against the technology, drawing personal insults against the prime minister from Elon Musk.

The government is preparing a series of measures including a social media ban for under-16s, the prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, said, promising to protect children from the “digital wild west” and hold tech companies responsible for hateful and harmful content.

Sánchez said on Tuesday that urgent action was needed because social media was a “failed state where laws are ignored and crimes are tolerated”.

He also took Musk to task for using X to “amplify disinformation” over his administration’s decision last week to regularise 500,000 undocumented workers and asylum seekers, pointing out that Musk was himself a migrant.

Musk wrote on X in response: “Dirty Sánchez is a tyrant and a traitor to the people of Spain.” About an hour and a half later, he escalated his criticism, posting on X: “Sánchez is the true fascist totalitarian.” » | Staff and agencies | Wednesday, February 4, 2026

Monday, August 12, 2024

“Quite Chilling” | Government to Review Social Media Law amid Riots

Aug 12, 2024 | Sir Keir Starmer has suggested that the Government will review social media laws in the wake of the riots.

Baroness Claire Fox from the Academy of Ideas joins Talk’s Mike Graham to discuss this further. Mike says: "You cannot police something like the internet... it's impossible to do."



Our Führer, Herr Starmer, is a rather frightening character. He has only been in office for a very short while, yet he has already made everyone fearful. I am a man of a certain age, and I can honestly say that I have never known anything like this in my country before. The situation in the UK now makes me think of how life must have been like in East Germany under the STASI. The sooner we get rid of this man, the better. Herr Starmer is not to be trusted. We need a WRITTEN CONSTITUTION urgently. We need our very own FIRST AMENDMENT. – © Mark Alexander

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Rishi Sunak Considers Curbing Social Media Use for Under-16s

THE GUARDIAN: Reports suggest a ban is among potential options to protect young people from online harm

Rishi Sunak is considering limiting social media access for teenagers under the age of 16 to try to protect them from online harm, with reports suggesting a potential ban is on the cards.
r The government is considering further action despite bringing in the Online Safety Act, which requires social media platforms to shield children from harmful content or face fines of up to 10% of a company’s global revenue. » | Aletha Adu and Dan Milmo | Thursday, December 14, 2023

Kick this Puritan out of office with despatch! With this man at the helm, a bleak future awaits young people! First, it was the smoking ban; now, this! What will this little dictator next find to ban?

These bans are unacceptable; so is this little dictator. Banning things is not the British way! Kick the SOB out of office. And with despatch! Indians might like his bans; we British do not! – © Mark Alexander

Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Gay Kiss on Live TV Evades Singapore’s Ban on LGBT Content

THE GUARDIAN: Video clip of two men kissing in Beijing bar during Channel News Asia report hailed as ‘act of revolution’
Two men are seen kissing behind the Channel News Asia reporter during a live broadcast from Beijing. Photograph: CNA/YouTube

It was a Singaporean news report on the Winter Olympics opening ceremony, live from a Beijing bar filled with eager fans. Yet it was two men – who burst into the view of the camera, sharing a dramatic kiss – who stole the show.

The clip has since gone viral in Singapore, where broadcasting codes restrict content that promotes LGBT “lifestyles”, and where sexual relationships between men are outlawed.

The kiss does not feature in a version of the report published by Channel News Asia (CNA) on its website. But on TikTok a clip of the kiss has been viewed more than 825,000 times. “This is actually an act of revolution,” one user wrote. It has also been shared widely on Weibo, a popular social media platform in China. » | Rebecca Ratcliffe, South-east Asia correspondent | Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Thursday, September 09, 2021

Brazil’s President Bans Social Networks from Removing Some Posts

THE NEW YORK TIMES: The new rules in Brazil appear to be the first national policy that restricts how tech companies can control their sites, analysts say.

Supporters of President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil in São Paulo on Tuesday. Victor Moriyama for The New York Times

President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil is temporarily banning social media companies from removing certain content, including his claims that the only way he’ll lose next year’s elections is if the vote is rigged — one of the most significant steps by a democratically elected leader to control what can be said on the internet.

The new social media rules, issued this week and effective immediately, appear to be the first time a national government has stopped internet companies from taking down content that violates their rules, according to internet law experts and officials at tech companies. And they come at a precarious moment for Brazil. » | Jack Nicas | Thursday, September 9, 2021

Sunday, March 17, 2019

New Zealand Mosque Attacks: Social Media Comes Under Attack | Al Jazeera English


Since Friday's attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, social media platforms have been criticised for failing to stop the suspect's shooting video, and hate-filled manifesto, from going viral. Why was it so difficult for the social media giants, with all their resources and latest technology, to contain the spread of videos of New Zealand mosque attacks? Al Jazeera's Mereana Hond reports.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Inside Story - Should Social Media Companies Ban Certain Content?


Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Microsoft to join efforts to filter out content they consider "terrorist propaganda".

Friday, November 11, 2016

What's the Future for Mainstream Media? – BBC Newsnight


David Grossman looks at how social media helped Donald Trump to win the US election, and whether the mainstream media still has any influence in elections.

Friday, June 07, 2013


Twitter, Spies & Looters: Erdogan Blames 'Foreign Agents' for Turkey Riots

For a sixth night running in Turkey, it was more of the same. Clashes leading to police unleashing their water cannons and tear gas on protesters. A third fatality has been confirmed in the unrest, after a man died from head injuries in an Ankara hospital. Activists want the police chiefs responsible for their violent tactics removed and urged officials to ban the use of tear gas. Protesters also want all those that have been detained, released saying that could end the days of riots. The Turkish Prime minister returns from a trip to North Africa later, and will be expected to do something about the public discontent which has seen demands for him to reverse all his policies. But as RT's Irina Galushko reports, Erdogan appears to be looking for scapegoats.


Read more here