Thursday, October 31, 2013

New York City Bans Sale of Cigarettes to Under 21s

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: No one under 21 will be able to purchase tobacco products in New York City

New York City has voted to ban the sale of cigarettes, e-cigarettes and tobacco to anyone under the age of 21, raising the previous threshold of 18.

New York is the first large city in the US to raise the age limit so high, a resolution that follows years of increasingly stringent laws on tobacco.

The federal age requirement for buying cigarettes is 18, which some states previously raised to 19.

A spokeswoman for New York City council said the proposal was approved by 35 votes to 10.

New York was the pioneer of a ban on smoking in bars, restaurants and public places - initially criticised - but since adopted in cities across the West. » | AFP | Edited by Bonnie Malkin | Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My comment:

New York used to be a wonderful city to visit. Now, I give it a very wide berth. I am a moderate smoker, so I have no desire to visit a city that makes it so difficult for me to enjoy myself.

This latest measure, banning people from buying cigarettes under the age of 21, is stupid beyond belief. So correct me if I am wrong. Now, a New Yorker can die for his country, he can own firearms, he can father a child, he can marry, he can buy a home, he can pay his federal and state taxes, but he cannot buy a pack of cigarettes. The person who thought this law up has sawdust for brains, as do the people who voted for it.

I would have thought that New Yorkers have far, far more important things to worry about. No wonder the US is in the dire state it is in. – © Mark


This comment appears here too.