Saturday, February 26, 2022

Ukraine: Russia Influence Is Now a Tory Conflict of Interest

Feb 26, 2022 • When Boris Johnson says he’s appalled by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, I can’t help but think it’s because he sees it as a massive threat to future Russian funding of his party. Will Rishi Sunak, Alok Sharma, Robert Buckland and the dozen or so other Tory MPs and ministers who have taken donations linked to Russia now return them? Will Johnson’s friend, Evgeny Lebedev, the son of a KGB agent, be allowed to continue as a legislator in the House of Lords? And did Jacob Rees Smug’s Somerset Capital Management have inside information when deciding to sell all their shares in one of the Russian banks before it was sanctioned? I think we can guess the answers.


As a one time dyed-in-the-wool Tory voter, it hurts me to have to say this, but I will say it nevertheless: I wouldn't trust BoJo further than I could throw him! Nor the band of shysters he surrounds himself with. These days, the good ol' Tories–the decent ones–are nowhere to be seen on the benches of the House of Commons. – © Mark