Monday, March 26, 2012

Barack Obama Caught Hinting at Concessions to Dmitry Medvedev

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Barack Obama was accused of putting his desire for re-election before America's national security on Monday, after being caught hinting to President Dmitry Medvedev that he would offer concessions to Russia on defence if he were re-elected.

The US president was captured by a live microphone telling Mr Medvedev that he would have "more flexibility" in negotiations over contentious plans for a missile shield in Europe if he beat his Republican challenger in November.

Delivering a message for president-elect Vladimir Putin, Mr Obama said: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defence, this can be solved, but it's important for him to give me space.

"This is my last election," he added, in a discussion following a meeting in Seoul, South Korea. "After my election, I have more flexibility." "Yeah, I understand," Mr Medvedev replied. "I understand your message about space". He added: "I understand. I transmit this information to Vladimir." » | Jon Swaine | Washington | Monday, March 26, 2012