Thursday, April 08, 2010

Taleban Release New Footage of US Soldier Bowe Bergdahl

TIMES ONLINE: The Taleban have released a video of the only American soldier in captivity, offering to release him as part of a prisoner exchange.

Bowe Bergdahl, who was taken hostage in Afghanistan last June, is pictured saying he wants to return to his family in Idaho and that the war in Afghanistan is not worth the number of lives that have been lost or wasted in prison.

His voice falteringly, Mr Bergdahl dressed in an army shirt and fatigues, clasps his hands together and pleads: “The pain in my heart to see my family again doesn’t get any smaller. Release me. Please, I’m begging you, bring me home.”

The footage shows the soldier with a beard and doing press-ups to demonstrate that he is in good physical condition. He tells the camera that he is strong and is “given the freedom to exercise; and to be a human being, even though he is a prisoner. >>> Joanna Sugden | Thursday, April 08, 2010