Friday, July 21, 2023

Jaguars Coach Kevin Maxen Comes Out as Gay in Historic Announcement

Kevin Maxen came out as gay in an interview with Outsports. | Jacksonville Jaguars

NEW YORK POST: Jacksonville Jaguars associate strength coach Kevin Maxen came out as gay on Thursday in what is believed to be a first for a male coach in major U.S. professional sports.

Maxen, who has been with the Jaguars since 2021, told Outsports he made the decision to come out in hopes of inspiring others while being true to who he really is.

“I don’t want to feel like I have to think about it anymore,” Maxen told Outsports.

“I don’t want to feel like I have to lie about who I am seeing, or why I am living with someone else.”

“I want to be vocal in support of people living how they want to live, but I also want to just live and not feel fear about how people will react.”

Maxen has been involved in football for several years, playing for Division III Western Connecticut State University in college before working as a strength coach at Baylor and Vanderbilt.

The strength coach said that he had wrestled with his sexuality in college but is hopeful Jaguars players will react positively to the news. » | Christian Arnold | Thursday, July 20, 2023