Monday, May 16, 2022

Jake Daniels: Blackpool Player Says Coming Out Will Allow Him to Be 'Free' and 'Confident'

Screenshot from the accompanying video | I am ready to be myself - Daniels

BBC: Blackpool's Jake Daniels said his decision to come out as the UK's only openly gay active male professional footballer would allow him to be "free and confident".

The Championship club forward is the first professional in the UK men's game for more than 30 years to come out while still playing.

Speaking to Sky Sports, the 17-year-old said: "Now is the right time to do it.

"I feel like I am ready to tell people my story."

He added: "Since I've come out to my family, my club and my team-mates, that period of overthinking everything - and the stress it created - has gone. It was impacting my mental health. Now I am just confident and happy to be myself finally. With video » | BBC | Monday, May 16, 2022

Jake Daniels: Why Blackpool forward's decision is a watershed moment for British football »