Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Saudi Journalist Detained for Muhammad Tweets Freed

Hamza Kashgari
BBC: A Saudi journalist detained after writing posts on Twitter deemed insulting to the Prophet Muhammad has been released, his friends and activists say.

Hamza Kashgari fled Saudi Arabia to Malaysia in February 2012 after his posts angered conservative Muslims and he received death threats.

He was extradited by Malaysia days later and detained by the Saudi authorities, reportedly on blasphemy charges.

The Saudi justice ministry has not yet commented on Mr Kashgari's release.

On the occasion of the Prophet Muhammad's birthday last year, he wrote: "I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don't understand about you. I will not pray for you."

The former columnist for the Jeddah-based al-Bilad newspaper issued a public apology after deleting the tweets, saying: "I have made a mistake, and I hope Allah and all those whom I have offended will forgive me." » | Tuesday, October 29, 2013