Monday, October 07, 2013

I Was Told I'd Have to Wear a Hijab, I said 'I Don't Think So': Today Programme's First Muslim Presenter on Why She Won't Wear the Veil

Mishal Husain
MAIL ONLINE: Mishal Husain, 40, was told to cover her face by Muslim train passenger / She is the first Muslim to present BBC Radio 4's Today programme / Cambridge-educated journalist said Koran didn't order women to wear garment / Comments reignite row about wearing of the veil in British society / PM David Cameron last month backed a ban on the garment in schools / Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he would not want to be treated by a medic wearing a veil

The first Muslim journalist to present Radio 4’s flagship current affairs programme has vowed never to wear a veil.

Mishal Husain - who joined the Today programme this morning - recalled the moment she was accosted by a fellow Muslim while boarding a train who told her she will soon have to adopt the face covering hijab.

She said: ‘He complimented me on my work and then said, “But you’ll have to wear a hijab one day.” “I don’t think so,” I replied.’

The Cambridge-educated journalist, 40, is the latest high-profile public figure to intervene in the debate about whether the veil is an acceptable item of clothing in Britain. » | Tom Gardner | Monday, October 07, 2013