Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Anthony Weiner in Tearful Confession over Twitter Pictures

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: A married US congressman sent lewd photographs of himself to young female admirers over Twitter and Facebook then lied about being the victim of hackers when he was caught, he admitted last night.


Anthony Weiner, a Democrat from New York, broke down in tears as he confessed to "inappropriate conversations" with six women online and over the phone in the past three years.

"I have made terrible mistakes, I have hurt the people I love the most, and I am deeply sorry," he said, in a hastily-arranged press conference in a Manhattan hotel.

Mr Weiner, 46, repeatedly apologised to his 34-year-old wife Huma Abedin, [bio] a senior aide to Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, and to his constituents, but said he would not resign.

"I don't believe I did anything here that violates any law or violates my oath to my constituents," he said. Some of the conversations dated back to before his wedding last summer.

However Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House of Representatives, called for an inquiry “to determine whether any official resources were used or any other violation of House rules occurred.” » | Monday, June 06, 2011