Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vince Cable Backtracks on Criticism of David Cameron's Immigration Claims

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Vince Cable has indicated his support for the Government’s policy on tackling immigration, despite earlier accusing David Cameron of “inflaming extremism”.

The Business Secretary earlier said the Prime Minister had been “very unwise” in giving a speech warning that mass immigration had led to "discomfort and disjointedness" in some communities.

However, he later appeared to backtrack on his criticism, telling reporters that the Coalition was “completely united” on the issue.

Questioned about his earlier comments, which he made to the BBC, Mr Cable, a Liberal Democrat, said: "I don't want to develop that, and I think I have said what I wanted to say.

"We have a common consensus, a compromise in the coalition on our policy on the immigration cap and I don't think I need to add to that.

"We are completely united behind the policy and the policy is about a cap." (+ video) » | Thursday, April 14, 2011

Related »