Friday, September 18, 2009

Lockerbie Bomber Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi Releases Appeal Dossier

TIMES ONLINE: The Lockerbie bomber today released the papers that he believes would have secured his release on appeal.

In an act of revenge on the Scottish legal system Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi published the 300-page dossier which challenges key planks of the prosecution case against him.

The papers detail how his identification as the man who purchased clothing found wrapped around the bomb that caused the explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 was flawed. The evidence by Maltese shopkeeper Tony Gauci was crucial to the Libyan's conviction.

It also argues there was insufficient evidence to prove the date of the purchase and questions the prosecution's claim that the bomb was planted at Luqa airport in Malta.

Al-Megrahi said in a statement: “I have returned to Tripoli with my unjust conviction still in place.

“As a result of the abandonment of my appeal, I have been deprived of the opportunity to clear my name through the formal appeal process.

“I have vowed to continue my attempts to clear my name.” >>> Charlene Sweeney | Friday, September 18, 2009