Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Debt of Gratitude to Mark Alexander

And a "debt of gratitude" to Beakerkin for this great review of my book:

Recently, I took a competitive exam that would enable me to be a candidate for permanent hire. The odds of passing this writing test are around 15%. The vast preponderance of people who pass are people fresh out of college and lawyers. We were told we cannot study for this exam. We were told that either one has the ability or one does not. I refused to accept those myths. I quickly realized that my style would not pass that exam. I went through books of short essays and one book stood out above the rest: Mark Alexander's. His simple, no-frills writing style, his eloquence, worked like a charm! Before the exam, I examined Mark Alexander's sentence style for one hundred hours. Mark's style made the rules of grammar come alive! I have to give credit to Mark Alexander for this. Going into the test, I knew I had to produce a first rate essay, and I did. My boss has noted the drastic improvements in my writing style. He even asked me if I had taken a brush-up course at the local University! - Beakerkin

Mark Alexander