THE GUARDIAN: Experts say president is vulnerable amid discontent over rising prices – and the US public has ample cause for complaint
In Donald Trump’s telling, he’s a model of incorruptible self-sacrifice.
“I’m the only president that donated his salary,” he told a group of cheering supporters at a Hispanic heritage month celebration in the White House last week, before conceding that George Washington – “a very wealthy person” – might have beaten him to the punch.
“They pay me $550,000 a year, and in my first term, I donated it,” he continued. “In my second term I donated it too. I donated it to fixing the White House. I donated the salary into the White House preservation.”
Trump’s ethical self-depiction was undercut in startling fashion a day later when the crypto company that runs his memecoin offered “the most exclusive dinner in the world” at the president’s members-only Trump National club in Washington.
“Join three legends and featured speaker Donald J Trump,” gushed the invite to the 185 biggest investors in the Trump coin. The top 29 buyers were promised an invitation to an additional “VIP reception with your favourite president and one of the legends”. For the top four donors, a Trump 18-karat gold watch lay in store. » | Robert Tait in Washington | Tuesday, October 6, 2026
Americans have shown that they are a WEAK, FEEBLE lot in tolerating Trump's unprecedented CORRUPTION. The man is running the White House as a CASHCOW, as his very own exceptionally profictable company! — © Mark Alexander
