Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Michael Lambert: Why Luck Is More Important Than Anything Else If You Are to Succeed

Sep 30, 2026 | Is success really earned - or are we just lucky? In this video I start from Martin Lewis's remarkable speech to LSE graduates - talent, hard work and focus matter, but luck matters more.

I explore why two people can do everything right and get totally different outcomes.

We talk about the luck of where you're born, the family you’re born into, the talents you’re born with, meeting the right partner at the right time, being in the right place for a job - and above all, health. Health is the jackpot.

And I end with the bigger question: if success is only measured in money, why are so many rich and famous people unhappy, while so many poor people seem happy? Maybe the truly lucky ones are those who find happiness regardless.



Michael, this is one of your very finest videos. This is a message that so many people, young and old alike, should heed.

So often, one hears the old trope that “the harder one works, the richer one gets”. No, that is not true; it’s a lie! That is not to say that hard work doesn’t play its part in success, but it should be remembered that graveyards are replete with dead people who worked extremely hard in life and got nowhere.

I know from personal and painful experience just how much luck, and bad luck, play their parts in life. — © Mark Alexander