Saturday, September 26, 2026

A Rejoin EU Pledge Wins Burnham the Next Election

Sep 26, 2026 | 628 of Britain's 632 constituencies now pick rejoining the European Union as their top choice. The only exceptions are Clacton, Boston and Skegness, Ashfield and Great Yarmouth: the seats of Farage, Tice, Anderson and Lowe, where the top answer was "don't know".

As Andy Burnham heads to Liverpool for his first Labour conference as Prime Minister, he's refusing to rule out a pledge to rejoin the EU, but he's still hiding behind Starmer's red lines.

In this video I make the case that a bold, honest stance on Europe could be exactly what wins Labour the next general election. I also look at why George Osborne thinks there's a "conspiracy of silence", and why Canada is getting closer to Europe than we are.



I agree. However, I think that the LibDems missed a golden opportunity by not offering a definite return to full membership when they had the chance to do so. That could have worked wonders for them. But Ed Davey was too timid to commit to such a strategy. Anyway, return to the fold we must, whoever is willing to take the necessary steps and whoever has the courage to grasp the nettle. — © Mark Alexander