Saturday, August 01, 2026

Matthew Ryle: Is Thomas Keller's Roast Chicken the Best in the World?

July 31, 2026 | Thomas Keller is arguably the greatest chef alive, with three Michelin stars at both The French Laundry and Per Se.

He was once asked his favourite dish, his answer? The humble roast chicken. So I put his "Mon poulet rôti" to the test: a 3-day method of brining, air-drying and a hands-off roast.

I’m showing you exactly how it's done, to see whether it's worth giving a go at home. I find it hard to argue with Keller, a good roast chicken with a crisp green salad is a tough one to beat.

I’ll be showing a lovely salad you can serve with your chicken too. I’ve never taken this long to roast a chicken, but if it’s good enough for Keller, it’s good enough for me.

Chef's notes: It's one ingredient, so the bird is everything, buy the best quality you can. The air-dry is non-negotiable for that mahogany crackling. And genuinely: hands off in the oven. My honest verdict is in the video.



Click here for the full recipe. Then click on ‘more’.