THE GUARDIAN: Wave of almost 600 drones launched across 14 regions, after Moscow’s deadly three-day attack on Ukraine last week
One of Ukraine’s largest ever drone strikes against Russia’s regions, including Moscow, has killed at least four people and wounded a dozen more, the Russian authorities have said.
The wave of almost 600 Ukrainian drones struck overnight across 14 Russian regions, as well as the Crimean peninsula and the Black and Azov seas, the Russian defence ministry said on Sunday, with the area around the capital among the worst-hit.
Three people were killed in the Moscow region and one in the Belgorod region, the authorities said, as Russian air defences shot down 556 drones overnight and neutralised another 30 after dawn.
Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, confirmed the strikes, saying drones had flown more than 500km (310 miles) from Ukrainian territory and that Ukraine was “overcoming” Russian air defence systems concentrated in and around Moscow. » | Jon Henley and agencies | Sunday, May 17, 2026