Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Under-fire Finnish PM Sanna Marin Says Even Politicians Need Fun

THE GUARDIAN: Leader says week in she was forced to defend her private life has been ‘difficult’

Finland’s prime minister, Sanna Marin, at a meeting of her Social Democratic party on 24 August 2022. Photograph: LEHTIKUVA/Reuters

Sanna Marin has insisted she works hard as Finland’s prime minister but should also be entitled to a private life, after a photograph taken at her residence of two topless women kissing sparked renewed criticism of her partying.

“I am human,” Marin told reporters on Wednesday at the conference of her Social Democratic party, describing the past week as “quite difficult”. On the verge of tears, she said she too sometimes longs “for joy, light and fun amidst the dark clouds”.

The 36-year-old, the world’s youngest head of government when she was elected in 2019, added: “I haven’t missed a single day of work. I want to believe people will look at what we do at work rather than what we do in our spare time.”

She said she had not left “a single task undone – and I won’t leave this one in the middle either. I’m learning. But I am doing my job as well as I have been up to now. I’m thinking about Ukraine, I’m thinking about you, and I’m doing my job.”

On Tuesday, Marin apologised for the photograph, which first appeared on the TikTok account of the model and influencer Sabina Särkkä. It shows her and another woman – not Marin – kissing and lifting up their tops, with a “Finland” sign over their breasts. » | Jon Henley, Europe correspondent | Wednesday, August 24, 2022