Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Former Christian Music Singer Jon Steingard: I No Longer Believe in God

Aug 13, 2020 Jon Steingard was lead singer for the CCM band Hawk Nelson. On May 20, 2020, he posted on Instagram that he no longer believed in God, and his story went viral. Jon joins Seth Andrews for a candid conversation about his former faith, the word "atheist," the Christian Music industry, and the path forward.


Please note that I do not post these videos by ‘The Thinking Atheist’ up on my blog because I am pushing atheism, I am not. I post them because the discussions are always interesting and thought-provoking.

Actually, I am not an atheist; I am still a believer. Just! I do have many unanswered questions, however; and I certainly would not categorize my Christian belief system as resembling anything I hear from fundamentalist Christian America.

I was raised in the Anglican tradition. The Anglican tradition is Christianity-lite! My own version of Christianity is perhaps ‘liter’ still. But it is there; and I have always clung very closely and very seriously to living by Christian principles, which are very good principles to live by. They have been strong, civilising influences on the world. But increasingly I find myself asking one simple question: If God exists, does our belief in Him have to be anthropomorphic? The parts of Christianity I struggle with are the myths that have grown up around the religion. – © Mark Alexander