Friday, March 11, 2022

Statement from the Proprietor in Response to Media Speculation

Evening Standard

EVENING STANDARD: It troubles me that I am even writing this at a time when others are suffering so much and deserve unreserved focus. The harrowing news we are hearing from Ukraine is heart-breaking. Each hour brings fresh reports of a child killed, lives lost or families forced to flee their homes.

Nevertheless, accusations are coming from credible media outfits who are posing incredible questions to me so I feel I have no option but to respond. As someone who believes in transparency and the freedom of the press, I want to provide this statement as some context.

I am a British citizen. I first moved here as a child and was educated in the United Kingdom at primary and secondary level. I am proud to be a British citizen and consider Britain my home.

I have publicly made clear my condemnation of the war in Ukraine and called on President Putin to end the invasion of the country in the most public way possible through a letter to him published on the front page of the Evening Standard.

Our Ukraine Appeal has so far already raised £300,000, with every penny going to help the men, women and children who are fleeing the fighting in search of safety and desperately need food, water and medicines. » | Evgeny Lebedev | Friday, March 11, 2022

More about Evgeny Lebedev.

Related links here.

Standard owner Evgeny Lebedev insists he is not ‘an agent of Russia’: Media magnate issues statement in relation to peerage, as 386 Russian MPs added to UK sanctions list »

Boris Johnson and Evgeny Lebedev: a decade of politics, parties and peerages: Pair have been friends since 2009, but security concerns were raised because of the Russian tycoon’s father, a one-time Moscow spy »