Thursday, December 26, 2019

My Love Letter to Britain: Family Ties Can Never Really Be Severed


THE GUARDIAN: Since I went to a British school, you have always been part of me. Now you are leaving, and it breaks my heart

Irecently read a delightful book of love letters to Europe. And it made me contemplate my love for Britain. It has just occurred to me that when you joined the European Economic Community I was in one of your schools. Not on your soil, mind you, but in Italy. Saint George’s British International School in Rome, to be precise. I was 12 years old and still learning English. That year I also dressed up in a kimono, as one of the “gentlemen from Japan” in the Mikado, the school play. Mrs Alcock encouraged me not to sing too loudly, so that my false notes would be less audible. But she kept me on stage. I loved it. Like I loved being part of the chorus in My Fair Lady the next year and the Mock Turtle in Alice in Wonderland the year after. » | Frans Timmermans* | Thursday, December 26, 2019

* Frans Timmermans is executive vice-president of the European commission