Friday, October 04, 2019

Silence Still Surrounds the Murder of My Fiancé, Jamal Khashoggi. Who Will Speak Up?


THE GUARDIAN: A year on, no action has been taken about the killing. The Trump administration has much to answer for

Exactly one year ago, I stood outside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, waiting for my fiance, Jamal Khashoggi, to come out with the marriage documents we needed to begin our life together. I was optimistic, even excited. Yet I never saw Jamal again.

I did not expect to have my life transformed. I did not expect to have to alert the authorities to Jamal’s disappearance, or to find myself at the centre of a story that would shake the world. I did not expect, on a day that seemed unremarkable, to have my dreams shattered. By necessity I was put on a path, compelled to begin a campaign for justice for the man who was not only stolen from me but also taken away from those who read his work, and who admired him for his courage and his unrelenting commitment to the truth. » | Hatice Cengiz | Wednesday, October 2, 2019