Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Islam Row: Peter Robinson Makes Public Apology for Causing Offence to Muslims after Meeting in Belfast

Peter Robinson along with Muslim leaders outside the Islamic
Centre in Belfast
BELFAST TELEGRAPH: First Minister Peter Robinson has publicly apologised for offence caused to Muslims following comments he made in defence of a firebrand pastor who denounced Islam as "satanic".

Speaking outside the Islamic Centre in Belfast following a meeting with Muslim leaders, Mr Robinson said he had made a "face-to-face, man-to-man" apology.

"I have had a very welcoming visit to the Belfast Islamic Centre. I have been received in friendship, and respect," he said.

"I came here to make it very clear that the members of the Islamic community are a very important and valued part of our society in Northern Ireland.

"I know many of you centre on an issue of an issue of an apology - I apologise to these gentlemen, if anything I said had caused them hurt.

"I can see in many cases, it has. I say I apologise, face-to-face, man-to-man. The way it should be done." (+ video) » | John Mulgrew and Michael McHugh | Tuesday, June 03, 2014