Monday, December 09, 2013

The Question Is Not Who Is Taking Drugs, But Who Isn’t

MAIL ON SUNDAY: It must be 35 years since I flung an old friend out of my tiny North London flat for bringing cannabis into my home. I was still pretty modishly Left-wing about most things in those days. But I felt (as I feel now) a special disgust against drugs.

How could it not be wrong to deliberately dim and dull your senses? If you don’t like the world as it is, then change it. Don’t numb yourself into apathy.

I have to say that when I told him to get out, I thought I was expressing a pretty conventional opinion. It only dawned on me later just how out of tune I was with the times.

Not that it’s a bad thing to be unfashionable. In fact it’s more or less a duty, if your mind is alive.

People have told me since – and they were only half-joking – that Harriet Harman and I were probably the only two people at the University of York in the early 1970s who didn’t smoke dope.

I know directly of several outwardly respectable figures who take drugs and let their children do the same. » | Peter Hitchens | Sunday, December 01, 2013