Friday, July 19, 2013

Haifaa al-Mansour: I Wanted to Have a Voice

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Saudi Arabia's leading film director, Haifaa al-Mansour, says the taboos of her country, where women aren’t supposed to ride bikes, drive cars or show their faces, let alone make groundbreaking films, are there to be broken. Horatia Harrod meets her.

It’s hard to imagine becoming a filmmaker in a country with no cinemas. It’s especially hard if that country is Saudi Arabia, and you happen to be a woman, forbidden to drive, or show your face in public, or travel in or out of the country without permission.

(Every time a Saudi Arabian woman crosses the border a text message alert is sent to her male guardian, who could be her father, husband or son.)

Haifaa al-Mansour, Saudi Arabia’s first female film director and the first person to shoot a film entirely in Saudi Arabia, was 30 years old when she decided she’d had enough.

Born and raised there, she went to university in Cairo before returning and finding a job in media relations with a leading oil company.

'It was hard as a single woman to find a place to live,’ says al-Mansour. 'They wouldn’t write a [rental] contract for an apartment until my father came and helped.'

'And then I had to find a driver to take me to work every day – and he didn’t show up, or slept in. I bought him an alarm, but he sold the alarm.’

She says, 'I felt, “I’m so invisible, nobody cares and I am no one.” I wanted to have a voice, and I wanted to say something.’ » | Horratia Horrod | Friday, July 19, 2013