Thursday, July 04, 2013

Belgium's King Albert Abdicates on Grounds of Ill-health


THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: King Albert II of Belgium has announced his abdication, the first time a Belgian monarch has voluntarily stepped down, amid ill health and a court case over his alleged paternity of an illegitimate daughter.

In an unexpected address to the nation, the king, aged 79, announced that he would formally abdicate in favour of his son, Crown Prince Philippe on July 21, Belgium's national day.

"I am at an age never attained by my predecessors. I have noticed that my age and health no longer allow me to fulfill my job as I should have wished. I would not meet my duties and not honour my view of the royal function if I stuck to my post at all costs," he said.

"It's a question of elementary respect for the institutions and of respect towards you. Following a twenty year reign I am of the opinion that the moment has come to hand the torch on to the next generation."

"I want to tell you now that it was an honour and a joy to devote a large part of my life to the service of this country and its people." » | Bruno Waterfield | Wednesday, July 03, 2013