Thursday, February 23, 2012

Obama Apologizes to Karzai for Quran Burning

USA TODAY – THE OVAL: President Obama has sent a letter to Afghanistan counterpart Hamid Karzai apologizing for a recent incident of Quran burning at a U.S. airbase there.

"I wish to express my deep regret for the reported incident," Obama wrote in the letter delivered to Karzai today, and released by the Afghanistan government. "I extend to you and the Afghan people my sincere apologies."

"The error was inadvertent," the letter added. "I assure you that we will take the appropriate steps to avoid any recurrence, to include holding accountable those responsible."

The burning incident triggered anti-U.S. riots that have killed at least 14 people, including two American soldiers. » | David Jackson | USA TODAY | Thursday, February 23, 2012