Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Week That Davos Trumped Downing Street

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister, has admitted he ‘forgot’ that he was supposed to be running the country in the absence of David Cameron this week.

In an interview, the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East.

Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.

“I’m holding the fort but I’m hoping to take the end of the week off with my kids.

“Someone else will have to do it then. It sounds more haphazard than it probably is. People forget there are emails and there is BlackBerry.”

It later emerged that within hours of giving the interview, to the Metro newspaper, Mr Clegg did indeed go on holiday to his family chalet in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos. Nick Clegg ‘forgot’ he was in charge of the Government this week >>> Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent and James Kirkup in Oman | Thursday, February 24, 2011

Related >>>