Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How I Was Reviled for Warning that Britain Is a Hotbed of Islamic Terrorism

MAIL ONLINE: Some four-and-a-half years ago, a book of mine was ­published that caused something of a sensation.

It was called Londonistan, and it was about the way in which - astoundingly - Britain had ­become the most ­important centre, outside the Islamic world itself, for the production and export of ­Islamic terrorism.

Worse yet, I wrote, even after the 9/11 attacks and the 7/7 London Tube and bus bombings, the British political, legal and security establishments were still refusing to get to grips with the threat posed to Britain by militant Muslims who wanted to conquer it for Islam.

For my pains, I was called ‘mad’ by the Guardian, ‘bonkers’, ‘alarmist’, ‘­hysterical’ and, of course, ‘Islamophobic’.

Indeed, I had a hard time getting the book published at all. It was turned down by every mainstream London publisher because they regarded my views as dangerous extremism. One even remarked: ‘I’d rather take the ­poison ricin than publish this.’ Nice! Read on and comment >>> Melanie Phillips | Tuesday, December 14, 2010