Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Nick Clegg in Quotes: On Labour, the Conservatives and Coalitions

THE GUARDIAN: The Liberal Democrat leader keeps his options on his political rivals and possible coalition partners open

Attacking Labour

25 April 2010: "It is just preposterous the idea that if a party comes third in the number of votes, it still has somehow the right to carry on squatting in No 10 ... I think a party which has come third – and so millions of people have decided to abandon them – has lost the election spectacularly [and] cannot then lay claim to providing the prime minister of this country."

27 April 2010: "I think, if Labour do come third in terms of the number of votes cast, then people would find it inexplicable that Gordon Brown himself could carry on as prime minister. As for who I'd work with, I've been very clear – much clearer than David Cameron and Gordon Brown – that I will work with anyone. I will work with a man from the moon, I don't care ... with anyone who can deliver the greater fairness that I think people want." >>> | Tuesday, May 04, 2010