Friday, June 22, 2007

Clooney Protests

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo of George Clooney courtesy of Google Images
THE WEST AUSTRALIAN: U.S. film star George Clooney has joined a protest to stop construction of parking lots and a promenade in the northern Italian lakeside town where he owns a villa because he fears his presence is turning the quiet town into a tourist attraction.

Clooney was among some 300 townspeople who signed the petition against the planned construction in the town of Laglio on Lake Como, according to organizers.

"Yes I signed it. Almost every member of the town signed it," Clooney said on Friday.

"My concern is that this village that has stood for hundreds of years would be destroyed simply because I happened to have lived there for the last six years.

"I told my neighbors that I would do what they wanted.

"And it seemed that they didn't want to demolish the harbor where all the local fishermen keep their boats," Clooney said. Clooney’s holiday hideaway drama (more)

Mark Alexander