Thursday, July 13, 2006

How to defeat radical Islam in Europe
At a recent conference in Switzerland, student representatives asked: how could the Muslim population gain traction so quickly in Western Europe? It is a simple and direct question that could easily be addressed with reference to the disparity between Christian and Muslim birthrates and immigration patterns.

But numbers do not tell the whole story, nor do these numbers reveal very much about European attitudes. There are philosophical underpinnings that reveal more than any statistical analysis can provide.

The first of these is multiculturalism, an attitude which suggests each culture should be treated on its own terms without regard to universal considerations. For example, female deformation in the form of clitoridectomy is not wrong; it is simply the manifestation of a different culture.

The second, and arguably the view that represents the most significant shift in European attitudes, is secular humanism, a turning away from the spiritual to the temporal. European churches are now ostensibly museums, not places of worship. The moral teachings of Christianity have been largely interred and replaced by relativism or “new age” phenomenology, such as pantheistic environmentalism.

The third shift in attitude might be characterized as extreme liberalism. In this case, the virtues of liberalism such as tolerance have been perverted into an unwillingness to discriminate. Right and wrong are seen as archaic concepts belonging to the ash heap of history. What counts is openness, a strange form of egalitarianism in which all opinions have equal value if rendered earnestly.

The fourth attitudinal consideration is transnationalism. A project to reduce or eliminate the national heritage of European states through Continental harmonization has had the unintended effect of making citizens rudderless, of losing an identity and deracinating patriotism. Do the bureaucrats in Brussels represent the will of the European people? And can a Continental parliament rely on consent of the governed or even care about those governed? Answers beg the questions.

Last is the loss of confidence. The retreat of apostolic teaching has resulted in an absence of authority. Catholicism is in retreat, not only as a religion but as a voice of moral conviction. London: To defeat radical Islam Europe must re-Christianize by Herbert London
Mark Alexander

9 comments:

cybercrusader said...

This is a brilliant and insightful analysis of the situation we find ourselves in. I only hope we can extricate ourselves from it. Many thanks, Mr. London.

Always On Watch said...

The erosion of Western culture throughout Europe has been gradual. I lay the blame at the feet of the churches and the schools, particularly the universities, which have ruined many a young mind.

Great find, Mark!

beakerkin said...

All wrong

It is time the PC guilt trip was extended to Islamic Civ and Marxist Civ.

Then it is time to restore the unwritten social contract immigrants understood for generations.

Get a job
Learn the language
Respect others
Obey the laws

Always On Watch said...

Beak,
I don't see the article as a "guilt trip."

What the concepts mentioned have done is allow for the others (Marxists, Islamists) to get a free pass.

The "social contract" you mentioned is not going to be reinstated at the rate things are going.

beakerkin said...

AOW

We should be " more inclusive in or PC guilt trips" . Communist and Islamic abuses deserve equal time.

Craos said...

Copying the entire text of an article to your blog is a violation of copyright in most countries, even if you link and cite the article.

On top of that, it's really bad form to put your name at the end of each post. Casually reading implies that you wrote the article in question.

HTH HAND

Mark said...

Craos:

I think you'll find that I always give due credit to the person writing the article. In no way do I try and pass the articles off as my own. It is no infringement of copyright to copy ANYTHING as long as the person writing the article has been given due credit for what has been written. On the contrary, I feel sure that these writers will be only too glad for me to send visitors to their websites. I know I am when they send them to me. My own work is also copied, and I have no problem with that as long as I am given due credit for what I have written.

If you look at my website properly, you will find that all I write, I sign with '©Mark Alexander'; all I do not write with 'Mark Alexander'. I am sorry you seem to have such a problem with the norms for the game. Perhaps you do not like the content of the excellent articles I post.

Be assured, only an idiot would make the mistake of misunderstanding other people's work for my own. Or are you a Muslim who is trying to silence the truth, maybe?

Craos said...

Just informing you of potential legal problems should the owners of the articles you post come home to roost.

I'm sure immediately recoursing to ad hominem attacks will go over wonderfully in a courtroom.

And no, I am not a Muslim. I find the content of your articles of excellent quality and therefore take offense at your violation of the article writers' copyrights.

HTH HAND

Mark said...

Temple of Diana 1874:

I know what you mean. It's all right.

What I do is redirect people to interesting articles I have picked up on other sites. I do this more when I don't have time to write them myself, which is the case at the moment. (Things here have been rather hectic this past few months. My normal rhythm of life has been upset by events.)

I cannot imagine these newspapers being upset by my driving traffic to their websites! I never try and pass them off as my own, and I make a distinction between what I have written by the use of the copyright sign. The copyright sign is always absent on the snippets I put up from other people. Moreover, I never place the whole article up. Only a few paragraphs, so that the visitor has to go over to the actual site to read the whole thing.

I always give due credit to people for their work. I never try and take the credit for anything I haven't written.

As you say, the Web wouldn't exist if people stopped doing this. So many people do it on their websites.

This thing is a fuss about nothing, as far as I am concerned, because it helps the writers of the articles get better known.