Monday, May 31, 2010

Nick It, Snip It, Cut It!

MAIL ONLINE: A premier silenced a room full of press yesterday when he told them he’d had a vasectomy.

New Zealand prime minister John Key was answering questions about badly-needed funding for early childhood education centres.

‘I think if I sent my 15-year-old or 17-year-old to early childhood at the moment they’d have a meltdown,’ he told reporters.

Asked what would happen if his wife had another child, he said: ‘I’d be extremely worried – because I’ve had a vasectomy.’ New Zealand prime minister forced to admit: 'I've had the snip' >>> Daily Mail Reporter | Monday, May 31, 2010

John Key on Facebook >>>

Prime Minister Stuns Press Pack With Cutting Comment

Photobucket
John Key, with wife Bronagh, says his vasectomy has been 'highly successful'. Photograph: New Zealand Herald

NEW ZEALAND HERALD: Prime Minister John Key revealed yesterday that he has had a vasectomy, providing a new slant on questions about Budget cuts at his post-Cabinet meeting press conference.

Mr Key had been fielding questions on whether parents facing price increases at Early Childhood Education centres would still be better off from changes in the Budget.

The Government is dumping the subsidy to ECE centres that have 100 per cent of their staff trained as teachers but will still fully subsidise centres where teachers make up 80 per cent of the staff.

When asked if he would be happy for his own children to attend an 80 per cent ECE, Mr Key quipped: "I think if I sent my 15-year-old or 17-year-old to early childhood at the moment they'd have a meltdown."

But what if his wife Bronagh had another?

"I'd be extremely worried because I've had a vasectomy. If you're asking a hypothetical question, I would be happy with 80 per cent teacher-led. >>> Derek Cheng | Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Watch NZ Herald video: John Key on his vasectomy >>> | Tuesday, June 01, 2010