Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Sufjan Stevens ‘Learning to Walk Again’ after Autoimmune Disease Diagnosis

THE GUARDIAN: US musician in rehabilitation after contracting potentially life-threatening Guillain-Barré syndrome

Sufjan Stevens said he owes his life to his medical team. Photograph: Dawn Miller

The Oscar-nominated US indie-folk artist Sufjan Stevens has announced he is suffering from a serious autoimmune disease.

In an Instagram post, he said he has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) and is unable to walk. He said symptoms began last month: “My hands, arms and legs were numb and tingling and I had no strength, no feeling, no mobility,” he wrote. After a diagnosis in hospital, he spent two weeks “stuck in a bed, while my doctors did all the things to keep me alive and stabilise my condition. I owe them my life.” » | Ben Beaumont-Thomas | Wednesday, September 20, 2023