Saturday, July 01, 2023

Dutch King Apologises for Country’s Historical Involvement in Slavery

THE GUARDIAN: On day to remember 160th anniversary of abolition of slavery in Netherlands, Willem-Alexander says racism is still a problem

‘I make this apology myself. And I feel the weight of the words in my heart and my soul,’ said King Willem-Alexander in a speech in Amsterdam on Saturday. Photograph: Reuters

The Dutch king, Willem-Alexander, has apologised for the Netherlands’ historical involvement in slavery and the effects that it still has today.

The king was speaking in Amsterdam on the 160th anniversary of the legal abolition of slavery in the Netherlands, including in former colonies in the Caribbean.

In an emotional speech, he said: “On this day that we remember the Dutch history of slavery, I ask forgiveness for this crime against humanity. As your king and as a member of the government, I make this apology myself. And I feel the weight of the words in my heart and my soul.”

He said racism in Dutch society was still a problem and not everyone would support his apology. However, “the times have changed and keti koti … the chains have truly been broken,” he said to cheers and applause from thousands of onlookers at the national slavery monument in Oosterpark. » | Donna Ferguson and agency | Saturday, July 1, 2023