Sunday, June 18, 2023

I’m an ultra-Orthodox Rabbi and I Speak Up for LGBTQ Jews

HAARETZ: No one should ever have to choose between a queer identity and a religious one. Rabbinic voices can even be used to incite evil, or it can inspire love, acceptance, and celebration. That is why I spoke at the Jerusalem Pride March earlier this month

I’m an ultra-orthodox rabbi and I recently traveled from New York to Israel to speak at the Jerusalem Pride March earlier this month. I think it’s safe to say I was likely the only ultra-Orthodox rabbi in the crowd of some 30,000 people, many of them waving rainbow flags emblazoned with the Star of David.

I traveled to Jerusalem as part of a delegation from Congregation Beit Simchat Torah in New York City, the world's largest LGBTQ+ synagogue. We came to show our support for our LGBTQ+ friends and family, especially in the wake of the many threats of violence directed at the marchers in a city not known for its tolerance of the community.

We also came, during these turbulent times politically in Israel, in solidarity and love for all those fighting for democracy and justice.


Everyone suffers from incompleteness whenever anyone is missing. This June, Pride month, is the ideal time for all of us, religious, secular, strait, and LGBTQ+ to start talking about how to make that inclusion a reality. » | Rabbi Mark Moskowitz | Sunday, June 18, 2023

Rabbi Mike Moskowitz is the Scholar-in-Residence for Trans and Queer Jewish Studies at Congregation Beit Simchat Torah, the world’s largest LGBT synagogue.