Monday, August 09, 2021

More Frustrations!

Yesterday, early evening, I decided to re-subscribe to Le Figaro. This time, I subscribed through Google, because it is cheaper that way. However, the newspaper won’t allow me full access. I have been trying to gain full access since yesterday evening, but I haven’t managed to crack the nut yet! It will soon be midday here and I am still trying! Does subscribing to a newspaper have to be this difficult? God! What a day! – Mark

Update: It is now 2:16pm here in the UK and I am still struggling to gain access to Le Figaro! I have lost count as to the number of emails for assistance I have sent. But they simply keep sending me a linkk to change my password. This is not a password problem per se. It is a much bigger problem than that. I am subscribed to a The New York Times and The Guardian and access to both was simple. A child could have gained access to those newspapers, after payment. To gain access to Le Figaro, you need a PhD! – Mark

Update 2: It is now 4:50pm and I still cannot gain full access to my account! They simply dont answer my pleas for assistance. The only thing I get are emails with links to change my password. And those don't work! I'm at a loss as to what I can do next. This is a poor show indeed. Perhaps I should have subscribed to Le Monde instead. – Mark

Update 3: It is now 8:35pm. More than 24 hours have passed and I have still been unable to gain full access to my account at Le Figaro! I have spent the last twenty-four-plus hours going 'round in circles! I can now give up for the evening because their offices are closed. It seems like I now have two options open to me: either I cancel my subscription altogether or I telephone their office(s) in Paris tomorrow. I find this whole thing totally and absolutely ridiculous! And very frustrating! – Mark

Update 4: Success! I've now gained full access to Le Figaro – at last! I had to call France and get help to crack the nut, but the nut has been cracked! A very nice and friendly young man helped me solve the problem. Apparently, some changes had to be made their end because there was some confusion about my data. I had been subscribed to the newspaper before, but as I subscribed this time through Google, the new details didn't correspond to the old data they had for me. These changes had to be made manually. The gentleman was able to make those changes for me. Even in the Internet age, sometimes a telephone call is the only way to solve a problem! One needs to speak to someone—a real person—who understands the problem and can make the necessary changes. If I hadn't made that call, I'd still be struggling to gain full access. But as we often say, 'All's well that ends well!' – Mark