Thursday, October 17, 2019

'It Was News I Was Scared to Tell': Shrewsbury MP Daniel Kawczynski Calls for Understanding of Same-sex Relationships


SHROPSHIRE STAR: Shrewsbury MP Daniel Kawczynski has told about the nerves he suffered when 'coming out' to his constituency association - as he led a Westminster debate on LGBT issues.

Mr Kawczynski revealed how he had travelled back to Shrewsbury from Parliament, with some big news for his constituents.

"It was news I was scared to tell, even to my closest supporters in the local Conservative Association – so much so that I was quietly praying the train would break down so I would not have to impart it. The news was that I was now in a same sex relationship."

The MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham will this year enter into a civil partnership with his long-term partner Fernando. And he says the supportive reaction he got from his constituency party six years ago will stay with him all his life.

"Full of apprehension, I looked up at the faces of the people I had spoken to, 50 of the most senior members of my local party and awaited their reaction," he recalls.

"Almost immediately, a gentleman in the front row stood up and said, 'I think that’s marvellous news, well done' and began clapping. » | Mark Andrews, Shrewsbury | Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Divorced Conservative MP: 'I’ve fallen in love with a man’ »