Thursday, August 22, 2013

US Army Will Not Allow Bradley Manning to Become a Woman

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Bradley Manning announced today he wanted to live the rest of his life as a woman called Chelsea but the US Army said he could not start hormone therapy while serving his 35-year prison term.

A day after he was sentenced for handing thousands of secret files to WikiLeaks, the soldier said he wanted to live as a female and be known as "Chelsea Manning".

The 25-year-old was diagnosed with a gender identity disorder while serving in Iraq and sent his superiors an email of himself dressed as a woman with a blonde wig and make[-]up.

"As I transition into the next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me," Manning said in a statement released through his lawyer. "I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female.

"Given the way I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible."

Manning requested that his supporters refer to him as "she" and signed the statement "Chelsea E. Manning". » | Raf Sanchez, Washington | Thursday, August 22, 2013

A person's gender used to be determined by his/her genitals. It was simple, and obeyed nature. Whatever happened to that concept? – ©Mark

This comment appears here too.