Monday, February 25, 2013


Cardinal Keith O’Brien Resigns as Archbishop


SCOTSMAN: Cardinal Keith O’Brien, the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in Britain stepped down today amid allegations of his “inappropriate behaviour” with three priests and one former priest.

The decision to bring forward the 74-year-old cardinal’s resignation by three weeks was made personally by the pope.

In a statement this morning he said: “The Holy Father has now decided that my resignation will take effect today.”

“I thank Pope Benedict XVI for his kindness and courtesy to me and on my own behalf and on behalf of the people of Scotland, I wish him a long and happy retirement. I also ask God’s blessing on my brother Cardinals who will soon gather in Rome to elect his successor.”

“I will not join them for this conclave in person. I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focused on me - but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his successor. However, I will pray with them and for them that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, they will make the correct choice for the future good of the Church.” He added: “I have valued the opportunity of serving the people of Scotland and overseas in various ways since becoming a priest.” » | Monday, February 25, 2013

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: Cardinal Keith O'Brien resignation: statement issued by Scottish Catholic Media Office: The Pope has accepted Cardinal Keith O’Brien's resignation as he fights allegations of “inappropriate” behaviour with priests. Read the statement issued by the Scottish Catholic Media Office here. » | Telegraph reporters | Monday, February 25, 2013

Related »