Tuesday, January 25, 2011


Islam in the UK: Conversions Galore!

THE SUN: RECORD numbers of British women are converting to Islam.

There are up to 100,000 converts in the UK - up from around 60,000 in 2001 - with white women leading the trend, according to research for the Faith Matters organisation. A study by Swansea University, on behalf of Faith Matters, found 5,200 people converted to Islam in the UK last year.

And a survey of 122 converts last year showed 56 per cent were white British, with women making up 62 per cent of respondents.

Here, SAMANTHA WOSTEAR and DULCIE PEARCE speak to three women who have all embraced the faith.

EMMA TAYLOR, 30, from Reading, Berks, loved partying but converted to Islam. She says:


"I was raised a Catholic but after-school partying and living a wannabe WAG lifestyle became my religion. I loved buying sexy clothes and hanging out with mates.

As a filing clerk in an office I only earn £16,000 but until last year I managed to make it stretch by living in a shared house so I could spend my cash on looking and feeling good.

However in January last year, with my 30th birthday looming, I began to think that waking up with a hangover most mornings, having no long-term bloke in my life and no real ambition meant something was missing. I tell my friends my love of bacon butties has been replaced by new religion >>> | Tuesday, January 25, 2011