Sunday, May 09, 2010

The Cost of a Kiss

MAIL ON SUNDAY: A British woman jailed in Dubai for kissing a man on the cheek has spoken for the first time of her nightmare ordeal in prison.

Charlotte Adams, 26, was deported on Friday after spending 23 days locked up alongside prostitutes and murderers for ‘indecency’.

A local woman claimed she saw Charlotte openly kiss and touch Londoner Ayman Najafi in a restaurant.

The harsh sentence may have been intended to send a warning to the Britons who flock to the five-star beach resorts of an emirate which styles itself as a playground for the jet-set – yet has laws that penalise any deviation from Islam.

In 2008, a British couple found having sex on a Dubai beach were, on appeal, given only a three-month suspended sentence.

Charlotte’s ‘crime’ means she is now banned from Dubai and the United Arab Emirates.

But as her plane took off for Britain on Friday, she said: ‘It is such a relief. I’ve thought of nothing else for the last few months.

‘I love this place and it makes me sad that I’ll never come back, although I think I’d struggle to ever feel free here again.

'But the laws need to evolve to match the culture here. At the moment, it’s all just hypocrisy.’ I was in prison with some prostitutes and a Russian woman who chopped up her boyfriend: Dubai 'kiss' girl reveals price she paid >>> Jo MacFarlane | Sunday, May 09, 2010