Thursday, October 08, 2009

Keywords: Update

Some days ago, I reported that I was having a problem placing keywords at the end of my blog postings. The problem has been only partially resolved.

It seems that Google has changed the rules of the game. Henceforward, bloggers are allowed to place no more than ten keywords at the end of each blog posting, and in all there should be no more than 2000 keywords per blog!

As all my visitors know, I blog not only in English, but in other languages too, especially French and German. From time to time, I have also placed keywords in Arabic. Having such restrictions will make it very difficult for me, and other bloggers, to place the appropriate keywords when posting an article. Why? Because now, unless the keyword I want to use has already been used in the past, i.e. it is in my 'bank' of keywords, I am no longer able to use that keyword. Let me illustrate my difficulty, please…

This afternoon, I put up Enya’s song ‘Anywhere Is’. It was impossible for me to use the keywords ‘Anywhere Is’, because it had not been used before, so it was no in my keyword ‘bank’. I could therefore place the song up only under Enya. And even for this explanatory post, I am unable to use the keyword 'keywords', because that keyword had never been used before the 'bank' was frozen.

If this continues, it is going to make my posts far more difficult to find; so, naturally, I am going to continue to resolve this problem. It will take some time. I therefore ask you all for your understanding. May I also request that you be so kind as to contact Google by emailing them at help@google.com, asking them to rescind this recent, ludicrous decision. Clearly, there must be thousands of bloggers suffering from these arbitrary restrictions. – Mark