Thursday, February 16, 2006

One Canadian newspaper fighting for its life to support our freedoms

I received this email this morning from the Editor of the Western Standard, asking for support. Surprise! Surprise! Muslims are going to try and sue the newspaper for publishing the cartoons! The Western Standard is fighting for its life, as even the news stands in Canada are not stocking the newspaper anymore because they are afraid to offend the Muslims!

Here is the letter I received from the Editor, Ezra Levant. Please support this newspaper in any way you can, even if it's only by email. It deserves our support.
Dear Western Standard reader,

By now you have probably heard about our decision to publish the Danish cartoons -- those same cartoons that have been the excuse for riots around the world.

We believe that reprinting the cartoons is essential to properly telling that news story, which is why we did it. We also published them as a symbol of our freedom of the press, and in defiance of those around the world who would censor us through threats of violence.

I've never been more proud of our magazine.

Not everyone is happy with us, of course. A Calgary Muslim leader has reported us to the police, trying to get them to charge me with hate crimes. He has also filed a complaint against us with the human rights commission on the same grounds. Ironically, he has called our freedom of the press "intellectual terrorism".

Those are nuisance suits, of course. But the idea is to cost us money and time, break our spirit, erode our freedom of speech, and teach a lesson to all other media: that anyone who doesn't censor themselves will be made to wish they did.

The threats are working. Already, many Canadian magazine retailers who normally carry the Western Standard have caved in, announcing -- even before they see our new issue -- that they won't put us on their shelves. Again, the purpose of the censors is obvious: hurt our magazine economically, and make an example of us as a warning to all other media.

That's why I'm writing to you today: to ask for your help. Please do three things:

1. Let me know how you feel.

If you support our magazine's decision, let me know. Send me an e-mail to info@westernstandard.ca and I'll share it with the rest of our staff, to help buoy their spirits as we face this hurricane, to let them know we're not alone.

2. Encourage your local retailer to stock the Western Standard

Magazine retailers need to know that you value freedom of the press and your freedom to make up your own mind, and to not be censored by them or anyone else. Ask them to stock the magazine, or even to order it in just for you. You'll not only help us survive the boycott, but you'll put some steel in the spine of your local retailer.

3. Help us out directly.

If you're not yet a subscriber, now's the time to sign up -- a subscription is 37% cheaper than buying the magazine at the newsstand, and the money goes directly to us. If you're already a subscriber, consider renewing your subscription today, or extending your subscription, or even joining one of our clubs for enthusiasts by becoming a Sustaining Subscriber or a member of the Publisher's Circle.

You can find out more and do all of that right online, at HERE

It's fast, easy and secure -- and it helps us stay strong, and keep growing.

When we started the Western Standard nearly two years ago, I never imagined that we would have been at the center of a fight for our culture's basic freedoms -- or that the rest of Canada's media would be so silent, leaving us to fight this fight by ourselves.

But we're not all by ourselves. We have you.

Thank you for your help -- I look forward to your e-mails.

Yours truly,

Ezra Levant
Publisher

P.S. The best way to help us right now is to click on Western Standard: Subscribe
This was my reply to Ezra Levant:
Dear Ezra Levant,

I received your email this morning, describing the harassment you are suffering at the hands of Muslims who are trying to kill free speech and freedom of expression in Canada. This is reprehensible indeed.

It is also reprehensible that your news media outlets in Canada are so cowardly as not to stock your newspaper. Indeed, in my opinion, this is not only a blatant act of cowardice, but a blatant act of dhimmitude also!

You say you have never been so proud of your newspaper. So you should feel. You have every right to feel proud. Your newspaper is showing the spunk to stand up for our liberty when larger ones - the ones that should have joined the all-out fight weeks ago - have just caved in and sucked up. Look at the US press! How many US newspapers published them? Sadly, to my knowledge just ONE! Then look at the UK press! How many UK newspapers published them? To my knowledge NONE!

I am the author of the book, 'The Dawning of a New Dark Age: A Collection of Essays on Islam'. If I may say it: I have seen these problems coming for twenty years, or more. Then, only a few people would listen.

I have also got a weblog to promote my book. It's to be found at: Librabunda.blogspot.com

The title of the blog is 'A New Dark Age Is Dawning'. I, too, published the cartoons, but they were censored by Photobucket.com! I shall publish them again soon.

In support of your plight, I should like to re-publish this email on my weblog. I get lots of visitors from all around the world, from Alaska to New Zealand, and from South America to the Russian Federation. I should like to let my visitors know exactly what is going on in 'liberal' Canada. I trust that you are happy for me to do this.

I should like to take this opportunity to wish you all the luck in the world with your struggle for freedom of expression. Bon chance! I and my visitors are with you all the way.

Sincerely,

Mark Alexander

Author: 'The Dawning of a New Dark Age'
Again, please help the Western Standar in any way you can. In doing so, you will be helping the cause of free speech and free expression, and you will be helping to keep the darkness that is Islam at bay.

I SHOULD LIKE TO DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE BEEN CENSORED AGAIN! PLEASE LOOK TO THE RIGHT, AT THE SIDEBAR, AND YOU WILL SEE THAT THE CARTOON OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD, THE ONE SHOWING HIM WITH A BOMB IN HIS TURBAN, HAS BEEN REPLACED BY ANOTHER IMAGE - AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR 'PICTIGER.COM'. FIRST I WAS CENSORED BY PHOTOBUCKET.COM; NOW I HAVE BEEN CENSORED BY PICTIGER.COM!

THIS IS A VERY TROUBLING DEVELOPMENT, FOR IT SHOWS JUST HOW FAR DOWN THE ROAD OF DHIMMITUDE WE HAVE ALREADY COME. WE ALL NEED TO BOYCOTT THESE TWO IMAGE HOSTING COMPANIES.


©Mark Alexander

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture of Mohammed is showing on my pc. Perhaps it was a glitch? Or your site has been hacked? It has been loading slowly both yesterday and today.

I think the Western Standard will get many new subscribers. They are not alone in being intimidated by the intolerant and bigoted muslim groups. I'm still waiting for them to sue the Egyptian newspaper that published the cartoons last October. There was no outrage and rioting. Who do they think they're kidding?

In Norway a Muslim group, (Al-Jinnah Foundation) charged the editor of the Christian weekly Magazinet, who published the cartoons, with endangering Norwegian lives.

People are SO fed up with their freedoms being taken away by a 7th century corrupt religion and the tyrants that follow it.

Mark said...

Heather:

I am in distress again this morning!

By the way, I don't understand why your pic of Mo is showing while mine, and others', are not. Have you refreshed your page, I wonder?

AlwaysOnWatch emailed me this morning to say that it was not showing on her computer, either. And I have two at my disposal here: a PC and an Apple, the one I always work on. Both show no picture of Mo. Instead, they show a banner of PicTiger.com, the image hosting company.

I really don't think I have been hacked; rather, I believe that I have been censored. All fingers are pointing that way as far as I can see.

It really does look as though that 'New Dark Age' truly has already dawned! This is extremely disturbing for us all. It means that their intimidation techniques are working!

I really do hope that the Western Standard will get many new subscribers out of this. They deserve all the subscribers they can get, if only because they have had the courage to stand up to these Islamofascists.

People are SO fed up with their freedoms being taken away by a 7th century corrupt religion and the tyrants that follow it.

Indeed, Heather, indeed! This religion, if one can rightly call it that - personally, I think the word 'religion' dignifies it too much: isn't the word 'cult' more appropriate? - is in the process of taking us back to the DARK AGES. It simply MUST be VANQUISHED! It needs to be driven back to the desert sands where it rightly belongs. It is a mediaeval cult suitable for the mediaeval mindset of the bedouin Arab. Nothing more!

Mark said...

Redhead Infidel:

A very warm welcome to you!

Mark, the mohammed pic is gone.

Yes, I know. It's very sad, isn't it?

I was referred to your site this morning by Always on Watch. We posted on your predicament this morning and linked to your article here.

That was very kind of AlwaysOnWatch. She is very loyal to me; and I am very grateful for that.

Thank you for posting on my predicament. That was very kind of you.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for your good wishes.

PS: If you need a place to host your images, we'll be glad to lend you space on our server or help in any other way. :)

Your offer is a very, very, very kind one. I appreciate it greatly. I also appreciate very much your offer of help in any other way.

When I am ready to republish them, I shall be in touch, and shall take you up on your very kind offer.

Please drop by again soon. It would be great to have you around. Friendly is as friendly does! :-)

Cheers!

Jason Pappas said...

Western Standard has one new Sustaining Subscriber today. It was delightful to speak to the subscription lady in Calgary. I can tell she wasn’t a New Yorker by her cheerful manner even though she said it was 20 degrees below zero today!!! She noted I wasn’t the only one supporting them in their time of need. I was glad to hear that. Maybe I can give a gift subscription to a Canadian public library. I should suggest that to them.

Mark said...

Jason:

Great stuff! Good for you! I'm so glad I could help them in some small way.

I like your principles, Jason! You're a gentleman!

Always On Watch said...

This censorship--I can hardly breathe as I think of the implications for the West.

Always On Watch said...

This censorship--I can hardly breathe as I think of the implications for the West.

Mark said...

AlwaysOnWatch:

Yes, isn't it incredible! And nobody - absolutely nobody - is doing ANYTHING about it!

Anonymous said...

redhead infidel,

I've cleaned my cache, cleared my history, ran the defrag, but the Mohammed image still appears. I guess it is time to replace this computer since it's four years old.

I'm so glad you've found Mark's blog--I hope he will get the recognition he deserves. He has taught me (and countless others) a lot--even when I was reluctant to believe what he had to say. Current events have taught me that he was "spot on" in his assessments.

cybercrusader said...

Heather, Mark has taught me a lot as well. He is indeed a modern day prophet who is "telling it like it is..." We all need to support him in his important work. Thank you for giving him his due!

Pastorius said...

Mark,
How about posting this thing, about your being censored again, on IBA?

Mark said...

Heather:

I'm so glad you've found Mark's blog--I hope he will get the recognition he deserves. He has taught me (and countless others) a lot--even when I was reluctant to believe what he had to say. Current events have taught me that he was "spot on" in his assessments.

Thank you so, so much for your compliment. I really appreciate your comment. How sustaining it is!

I'm really glad you found my blog, too, Heather. I always enjoy reading your comments.

Mark said...

US Iconoclastic Patriot:

Thank you, too, for your compliment. Gosh! I'm sinking through the floor here!

Mark said...

Secular-Realist:

It's absolutely startling how few people realize how important this battle for freedom of speech is. I've posted on several forums about this topic over the last three weeks, by and large the majority of the people still call it a "extremist minority" of Islam. It's complete BS...

It IS startling that only the few people seem to realize how important this battle is!

You know as well as I do that this is NOT just some extremist minority. This is the real Islam!

Islam tolerates NO freedom of speech and expression. Were it to do so, it could possibly wither on the vine!

But it is precisely because it doesn't tolerate it (and other things besides) that the Islamic world has made no significant contributions to the advance of civilization in centuries.

You see, the free exchange of ideas is the lifeblood of creativity. In turn, creativity is the lifeblood of advancement and progress.

If they are to be allowed to stifle our freedoms in this way, then it will turn the clocks back to a new dark age for us, too.

It isn't for nothing that I entitled my book, The Dawning of a New dark Age.

Review Page 2 and Review Page 3.

Mark said...

Pastorius:

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall get down to it as soon as I can. Probably later in the day.