Tuesday, October 04, 2022

After Homophobic Assault, Gay Middle Eastern Man Refuses to Hide. “Yes, I Identify as a Gay Man.” | Reupload

The last summer before moving from Saudi Arabia to the United States, Jawad Bandar came out to his close friends. They all seemed to take it well - or so he thought. On one of his last nights in Saudi Arabia, Jawad was threatened by a group of men wielding bats. Though he escaped harm’s way, he later found out that his would-be attackers were tipped off by some people he thought were his friends. Rather than hide or retreat to the closet, Jawad took a different approach - upon relocating to Dearborn, Michigan, Jawad began living life as an open and unapologetically gay man.


Yes, gay Saudis. Imagine that! There are plenty of them, I can assure you. I saw and met more gay men when I worked there many years ago than I have ever met or seen in the West! Unfortunately, I wasn’t out in those days, and punishments for being gay were (and still are) brutal, harsh and cruel, otherwise I could have had a ball! – © Mark Alexander