Thursday, April 30, 2015

Charlie Hebdo Cartoonist 'Fed Up' of Caricaturing Prophet Mohammed

Rénald Luzier has rejected claims that the terrorists had won
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: The cartoonist who caricatured the prophet on the cover of the magazine's "survivors' issue" says he has had enough of drawing Prophet Mohammed

The Charlie Hebdo cartoonist who drew a controversial front-page picture of Prophet Mohammed after the satirical magazine's staff were massacred says he will stop caricaturing the prophet.

Rénald Luzier, known as Luz, claims his decision is unrelated to the attack on January 7 and rejected claims that the terrorists had won.

"I will no longer draw the figure of Mohammed. He no longer interests me," he told Les Inrockuptibles magazine. "I'm fed up with him, just as I'm fed up with Sarkozy. I'm not going to spend my life drawing them."

However, commentators were sceptical that Charlie Hebdo's leading cartoonist, who has contributed to the magazine for two decades, would never draw Nicolas Sarkozy again as the former president is expected to be a candidate in the next election in 2017. » | David Chazan, Paris | Thursday, April 30, 2015