Monday, July 16, 2007

Rizana Nafeek

I would like to urge all my visitors to do something to try and help this poor Sri Lankan girl whose execution in Saudi Arabia by beheading is imminent. I have chosen to write to the President of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, for I believe that he is a caring man. This is my email to him at the Élysée Palace today:
URGENT

Mr President:

You will no doubt be fully aware of the case of Rizana Nafeek, a poor Sri Lankan maid/babysitter, who has been tried in Saudi Arabia for allegedly stangling a four-month-old baby boy whilst feeding him.

This is a pathetic case, and certainly an injustice, since she was not afforded a lawyer to represent her at the trial; and her confession is said to have been forced out of her. Her execution by beheading is imminent. The girl is merely nineteen years old, and is said to have gone to Saudi Arabia to work to help feed her poor family back home in Sri Lanka.

I write to you today for I know you to be a man who cares about such matters. I therefore hope that there might be something you can do, as the President of France, to put a stop to this injustice. This poor maid will surely have few people to stand up for her. Your help could be invaluable.

I realise that this is not a French matter, and I realise, too, that you are an exceedingly busy man. But if there is something you can do to help this girl, it would be greatly appreciated.

For your time and assistance in this most urgent and pathetic matter, I thank you most kindly.

Faithfully

Mark Alexander
Author

Librabunda

Barbaric Practices

Somebody Do Something to Help
If you feel that you would like to write to your own president or prime minister, please feel free to copy my email.

Mark Alexander